Bounded by Czarnowiejska and Szymanowskiego streets, Inwalidów Square, and the Aleje Trzech Wieszczów thoroughfare, this park was established in 1885 by Stanisław Rehman as a recreational area for the residents of Kraków, and it was designed to resemble Viennese gardens. The park was furnished with restaurants, cafés, a concert pavilion, bowling alley, swimming pool, ice-skating rink, cycling arena, mini zoo-menagerie, pond, and open-air theatre (added in 1890).
Of all these, only the pond has survived to our times. Today’s park covers approx. 5 hectares (12.5 acres) and since 1974 has been a display ground for abstract outdoor sculpture by Polish artists.